Thursday, September 25, 2008

A Rope?

Yesterday Tyler and I ran up Ferguson Canyon to go sport climbing with Jansen, Rob, Deric & Melinda, and Troy. I haven't been sport climbing outside in years and have never been up Ferguson Canyon. This was something new for me. Ferguson is a gorgeous area that is totally enclosed and filled in with beautiful trees and a stream. Cliffs line each wall of the canyon and the rock is the most featured and solid granite I have ever climbed on in Utah.

We were there for more social reasons than climbing as I had climbed the last two days up LCC and the gym. Therefore, all I attempted to do was a 5.8 that was extremely fun. T took a couple of photos of me and then went back to throwing rocks and playing with sticks.

While I was belaying Rob a person decked on a 5.9 not 100 feet behind us. I guess he was in a dodgy spot and a bit off route. His belayer supposedly caught the fall, but it wasn't enough and he swung into the rocks at the base. He clearly broke his right ankle which Jansen and Troy applied a splint. They then, along with two other guys, carried the guy out to the cars, about 3/4 of a mile.

It was an exciting night. Here are a couple of photos.



No comments: