Thursday, July 26, 2012

Busy Little Bee

Yeah, I've been pretty busy lately. Between work, family, and running I haven't taken much time to post. That being said, I have been having a lot of fun out on the trails and have done some good runs with great friends.

Last Tuesday we did our weekly night run. However, sitting straight through an 8 hour day at work is brutal. Normally, if I don't run during lunch I'll go out, but that day I just didn't have any money, so I was stuck at the office. At some point I just couldn't take it any more so I decided to go out for a run even though I knew I'd be going out again that night. During lunch I ran up to the summit of View Benchmark via Ann's trail. It was a great, but hot solo run to an easy peak with great views. Oddly enough though our night run a few hours later was to the same peak, just via different trails. So, two summits of View Benchmark in one day. Fairly awesome.

Ann's Trail up to View Benchmark in January. Beautiful views.

Saturday things heated up with a cruise up Timpanogos via Timpooneke with Scott. We got a normal morning start around 6am and the trails were already crowded. We took our time to the upper basin, but then I turned it on after that because I was feeling really good. I had a fast time to the summit considering the slow start. There were several other runners up there, as well, and we took the time to chat and get to know each other. What a great community! Scott decided that he wanted to become an awesome downhill runner that day, I guess, because he flew down the trail and set a new PR by over 30 minutes (round trip). It was really cool to do that with him. The flowers and colors in the mountains are absolutely stunning right now. If you get a chance to get up into the mountains, now is the time.

 Running up into the upper basin. These purple flowers were awesome.

 Just over the small hill behind Scott were 3 moose.

Seriously gorgeous.

Yesterday I did a solo run up the Pfeifferhorn. My legs were heavy from battling the sun and humidity the day before so I set a goal just to put in a moderate effort. My pacing must have helped though because I still reached the summit within a minute of my PR. The Pfeiff is a tough run/hike and even on your best day takes a lot of effort and focus. It's not just physically challenging, but also mentally. The lower trail is rocky and rooty and if you don't stay focused you'll catch a toe. The top has boulder hoping and potentially some 4th class climbing (the way I usually take), both require focus so as not to fall. Falling would be bad. I put it in cruise on the way down and could feel the fatigue in my legs. Round trip was still under 2:30 which is a solid time, I guess. 

On the summit with storms brewing to the southwest.

Finally, for those who are interested, the Quest for King's Marathon is set for August 11th at 8am. Come out and enjoy running to the top of Utah with a bunch of ridiculous trail runners. I am hoping we can all camp the night before and enjoy getting to know each other, then have a fun, safe day running the peak. You can link to the site on the right toolbar. There is also a Facebook page now and if you're interested I'd appreciate you letting me know you'll be joining there. Contact me if you have questions.


No comments: