Sunday, March 27, 2011

Buffalo Run 50 Miler Race Report

Time: 8:02:39
Place: 11th, Overall

There has been a lot of anticipation for this race. I've felt that there were a lot of high expectations for me, not counting those that I had for myself. I thought I had put in a proper amount of training, I put together a great race plan, and was focused on just doing the best I could.

I met my friend Kelli at a pre-planned location at 4:15am and we drove up to Antelope Island. She was very nervous as this was her first 50 miler and because she is such a good marathoner people have really been feeding her with unrealistic expectations. I've been trying to keep her head focused on the right things for the last couple of weeks and it seemed that as we were driving up she was feeling better about her abilities and running the distance.

We rolled into the race parking area, about 200 yards away from the start tents, a little earlier. It was cold out, about 32 degrees. We knew it would be a chilly start. Weather forecasts for the day had varied considerably throughout the last week, but we were confident it was going to be ok. And was it!!! We made our way down to the heated tents, got checked in, and hung out with friends. Just prior to the start we stayed near the fire and only went over to the starting line a few minutes before go-time. I'm not sure how it worked out, but I was in the very front. Kelli stood right behind me.

6am - GO!

White Rock - Split Rock Loop
The elites took off like a shot. Kelli's gameplan was just to hang on my heels for as long as possible and then try and keep me in her sights the rest of the time. As we worked our way up the first hill Kelli asked me to tell her a story and I shared the one of me jumping off a cliff into a tree (you heard right). We weren't far behind the elites but were putting some good distance between us and the rest of the main pack. As we hit the top of the first 2 mile climb we caught up to someone I recognized, Josh. He and I have followed each others blogs for some time now and I got to meet him the last time I was out on the island. I think he's going to be a very good running friend, for sure. The three of us ran together across the ridge above White Rock valley and then cruised down the hill, into the valley, and towards Lone Tree hill. Nearly across the valley we were quickly passed by 3 of the elites who had said four of them had taken a wrong turn (where was the fourth?). They shot up the hill like rockets while the three of us slowed to a walk. We weren't about to blow our legs out this early. Towards the top we moved back into the trot and hit the Elephant Head aid station at mile 5.5 in just about 50 minutes.

We didn't stop, cruised right on by, and aimed ourselves down the steep hill towards Split Rock. Josh and I held back, only running a 6:30 min/mile while Kelli wasn't far behind. In the bottom of the valley Duncan Callahan sped by, the fourth elite who took a wrong turn. We shared pleasantries, wished him luck, then put our heads down and started up the switchbacks.  How I love those switchbacks. We dropped Kelli a ways back at this point and were back around to Elephant Head aid station at mile 10.65 in 1:36:40.

Again, Josh and I didn't stop and headed out on the out and back. There were dozens of slower runners who were doing the out and back first. Like an idiot I was yelling "slap hands, slap hands" and giving everyone five. At the far end we grabbed our stickers, turned around, and headed back. I had been eating a gel every 30 minutes on the clock and had just now taken my first salt pill. Everything was working like it should. Within a quarter mile heading back we ran passed Kelli and urged her to push on. She hadn't felt strong up to that point, but shared with us that she finally found her groove. Yah.

Once back at the Elephant Head aid station I stopped to refill on gels and drop my headlamp. Josh kept running and while I would continue to keep him in my sights for most of the race I wouldn't really talk to him again except in passing on the remaining out and backs. I left Elephant Head for the last time at just under 2 hours, mile 13.4. I cruised back down into White Rock valley and spied Bryce not far ahead with Josh just ahead of him. I had to stop for a potty break on the ridge and the boys put more distance on me. As I came back around towards the White Rock aid station near the start/finish I was still able to keep them close, however, and made the turn to head towards the east side of the island after a very brief stop to refill my water bottle and give a friend a hug. I made the whole first loop 18.85 miles in 2:42:21, more than 2 minutes faster than any training run and almost 20 minutes ahead of schedule. But I was tired.

East Side Out and Back
Heading out towards the east side of the island I was still in good spirits and felt strong even though I my legs were feeling fatigued. Down the steep hill we all make a left turn for a short out and back to the marina. It was muddy and gross on the way out, but it was worth it because there was a port o potty at the end of the trail, something I greatly needed. After a 3 minute stop I was back on the trail and feeling much better. Kelli wasn't far behind me and Josh and Bryce were still within sight. However, heading out to Lower Frary aid station things began to fall apart. Around mile 25 my quads just began to ache and I couldn't get my legs to push anything faster than a 9:15 pace. In short, I was hurting. I rolled into Lower Frary aid station at mile 27.5 in 4:10:00. Bryce was there. I asked him how he was doing and he said he as probably going to drop. He has battling a cold the last few days and it was reeking havoc on his lungs. I told him I was really hurting and was thinking about calling it quits myself. He encouraged me to press on to the Ranch and see how I felt there. Unfortunately, the aid station workers at this particular stop weren't of much help and I wasted valuable time finding my own drop bag, refilling my bottle, and getting everything back together. Maybe they just felt busy.

But I headed out and as I peaked back over my shoulder I could see Bryce continuing on. The problem now was the best I could muster was an advanced run/walk. I'd run for a mile and a half and then walk for about a minute. As I crossed the road I slowed to a walk again and Bryce caught up. He confirmed that continuing on was a mistake and was definitely going to drop at the Ranch. I felt bad for him, but he had put up a great fight. I think he felt my desire to drop and gave me some words of encouragement. I think I figured at that point that if all that hurt were my legs I had no business dropping. But the mental side was tough. I knew my wife and boys would be waiting for me at the finish and I didn't want to make them wait. So I started back into a run. I hit the aid station, mile 33, in 5:08:30. I tried to make a quick stop and was back out. Bryce must have found his ride and left.

As I as leaving the aid station Kelli rolled in and met up with her husband Scott. I told her I was basically through and was just planning to run/walk to a very slow finish. Surprisingly, she said she kind of felt the same way. I assumed that it wouldn't be long before they caught up and passed me. But as I continued on I was able to only stop to walk twice before getting back to Lower Frary and Kelli and Scott didn't catch up again until I was through the aid station and heading out again towards the finish. While at Lower Frary I was talking to Scott and told him that I knew I would finish, but probably wouldn't make 8 hours, my goal for the race. Another runner who was there said if I could just keep up a 10 min/mile that I could still make it. I took some ibuprofen and drank some Pepsi and took off.

To my shock and surprise I was able to comfortably keep a 9:30 pace of much of the run back to the turn up the hill. I even ran all of the inclines and didn't stop to walk at all until I hit the aid station at the fence. I had even caught up and passed a guy in green who had passed me twice before. The climb out of the aid station is short, but really steep. I was looking forward to this climb not only because I could walk, but because I knew it would stretch out my legs. It was just what I needed. I was close to being back on schedule, I knew I would finish, and the thought of crossing the finish line and hugging my wife gave me new life. When I hit the pavement I was even singing out loud to some classic INXS. I then ran the short cross country down to Lakeside aid station, mile 36 in a total time of 7:24:47.

With four or fewer miles to go I had only 36 minutes to finish. With how I was feeling I just didn't think I had it in me to get under 8 hours, but I pushed on. The aid folks said I looked good and that helped. I love running the Lakeside loop, it is technical and winding. I do well in that kind of terrain. Twice I looked down at my watch to see that I was running a 9:40. Unfortunately, as I came around the west side my calves started to cramp up. I had to stop and stretch them. I hit the end of the single track with only 10 minutes left. I ran the little hill to the side road and went as fast as my legs could carry me. Unfortunately, it still wasn't enough and I crossed the finish line in 8:02:39. At the finish were my friends Scott and Matt, both had run the 50k and done very well. My wife didn't make it to see me finish but was there just minutes later. At the same time I saw her I was able to be at the finish line to welcome Kelli cross. She not only finished her first 50 miler, but she won it. WOW.

Final Thoughts
Did I reach my goal of 8 hours? You bet I did. I wasn't trying to qualify for the Boston Marathon or going after a 2 minute PR. In the ultra world and in my running anything within a few minutes of your goal time is the same as reaching it. Most often seconds don't matter, but minutes. 8:02 beat my previous best 50 miler by more than an hour. And I finished 10th overall out of more than 100 runners. It was the hardest race I've ever done, but I pushed through it, I finished, and I reached my goal on a mentally challenging course. I couldn't be happier.


Brian@Altera said...

What a great race. Way to push through it for a great time. Congrats and see you on the trails.

Matt said...

Seriously awesome race, man. Way to stick with it and push through. Crazy the thoughts that go through your head during a race!

Anonymous said...

Way to gut it out and finish strong! I know how tough it can be when you get in that head space. Congrats on the PR and on accomplishing your goal! I'll have a report up in the next day or two... Just waiting on some pics.

Aaron said...

That's just awesome jun. You are an endurance beast. Great race, great outlook. Recover've got a big summer coming up!

Hone said...

Smoking time. Nice work!