Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Ibex Climbing Trip

On Saturday a few friends and myself drove out to Ibex in hopes of finding dry rocks and warmer weather. The air quality in SLC has been so poor lately that it makes you want to stay indoors at all times. This this would be a welcome outing for all of us.
We got there by 11am and it was still really cold. We spent almost the first hour just trying to keep warm by playing with an old beat up car and messing around around the boulders, just not climbing them. Here is the crew getting ready to climb once the sun came out.



The car, for being basic garbage in the middle of the desert, was actually fun to play on. Here are Devin and Kyle taking it for a test drive  while I decided to jump over it after they got out.




Once the climbing actually began we warmed up and people started sending their projects like they had done it a hundred times. Jami was the first to send with completion of a project she has been trying for a few years. While it isn't rated very hard, it does have two small holds and a long reach that isn't good for the shorties, and she is a shorty!



Then we headed over to the White Arete boulder. The boulder itself was in the shade, making the rock incredibly cold. I was the first to go. Not feeling very strong I didn't have the highest expectations. But once I pulled on it felt simple and I cruised to the top. Once I was near to finishing my hands were pretty much numb and it got dicey trying to pull over the top when I couldn't feel my hands. Here I am sending.



Then it was Kyle and Devin's turn. Kyle was really struggling with the cold, but pushed through and finished the problem after about 5 tries. Devin just couldn't quite get his feet to cooperate and wasn't able to do it, but looked seriously strong. I bet he does it next time we go down.


 

We next moved over to the Red Monster to climb in the sun. We were able to stay warm for another 45 minutes or so then we lost the sun behind the mountain and knew it was time to go. It was a lot of fun and was so nice to get away. I've been back to work for two days and I'm already jonesing to take another road trip.

No comments: