Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Training Week 1/10 - 1/15

This was the first real week of training that I've had since trying to take intermittent time off for my Peroneal Tendontitis (ankle suckage). I didn't want to push it too hard; no high mileage days and reduced amount of hills. While it won't appear that I stuck with this focus, it really wasn't all that bad a week.

Monday 1/10 
4.2 miles, 100 vert - A quick loop on pavement during lunch. I was still nursing a strained calf and really didn't want to push it.

Tuesday 1/11
a.m. 3.8 miles, 2300 vert - Hiked Mt Wire (there's very little running to be done on this small peak) with Scott W and Matt VH. I felt good considering my lack of hill work over the last couple of months. It was a cold 6 degrees and didn't warm up. Made it to the top in 56:30 and roundtrip in 1:22:00. Saw about 8 elk that were really beautiful.
p.m. 4 miles, 0 vert - I did a treadmill run at the gym. Nothing special. I threw in a sub-7 min/mile just to stretch my legs. Boring.

Wednesday 1/12
6.06 miles, 1328 vert - I ran the BST in Draper. It was a beautiful day. After the 6 degrees beating the morning before I was able to run without gloves. Hit the trail with Matt W and we had to turn around a bit early due to larger snow drifts covering the trail.

Thurs 1/13
3.8 miles, 2300 vert - Wire Peak again with Matt R (yeah, I know a lot of Matts) and Scott W. Quicker day as it was super warm and the trail was beaten in better. Hit the top in 53:31 and roundtrip in 1:14:51, considerably faster than Tuesday. I think in the summer I could make it to the top in the lower 40s and round trip in under an hour. It will definitely be a goal of mine.

Friday 1/14
9 miles, 600 vert - I ran the Pipeline Trail in Millcreek Canyon. There were lots of people snow shoeing in big jackets, beanies, and snow pants. I ran by in shorts and a long sleeve shirt. Ha. I went up Church Fork, out to the point and back, and a quick out and back east on the trail to get an extra couple of miles.
1 mile, 0 vert - After getting home I picked up my son and we drove down to a park where we ran 1 mile on the dirt path around the park. He just wanted to get some exercise in. I'm so proud of what he's doing.

Saturday 1/15
Nothing. I couldn't find the time or means to get out.  Shame really.

Weekly Total:
31.96 miles
6628 vert

I think overall I accomplished my goals. It seems like there was a lot of vert in there, something I committed to not doing. But most of it was hiking and low impact. I'll have another moderate week and then start pushing my training a little harder. My next race is Antelope Island Buffalo Run 50 Miler at the end of March and I'd like to be well prepared so that I can perform at my best. Since few are really reading this and no one ever comments I'll keep my fingers crossed for myself and not ask anyone else to do it too.

No comments: